Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Salary negotiations - advice? 08:32 - Aug 11 with 5543 viewsZx1988

I recently found out at work that I'm currently on significantly less than a junior colleague (I've made my way through the ranks over the last decade, so have never received a 'competitive' salary review that comes with switching employers), and I've reached out to management to suggest my package might need review, as it's worse in all areas than other similar competitors within the market.

They've, predictably, come back with the usual 'how much were you looking for, then?' response, and I'm keen not to be the first to anchor my position.

I've gone back with a polite response along the lines of 'you regularly say you benchmark against the wider market, so I'd be interested to understand where you feel that my package should now sit', but are there any broader recommendations on strategy, or how to move on if they remain insistent that I'm going to be the first one to name a figure?

I'm pretty sure I suffer from an element of Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria as part of a wider ADHD diagnosis, so I'd much rather we could dispense with all the theatre of negotiation, and just have a simple and honest 'this is our best offer' proposal put on the table.

Not a prophet, or a stone-age man; just a mortal with potential of a superman.
Poll: Worst Ginger?

0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 16:34 - Aug 11 with 1345 viewseireblue

Salary negotiations - advice? on 14:16 - Aug 11 by stiff_talking

Is it a good time to ask for an increase ?


Doesn’t matter.

Zx can walk, and leave a gap that the company needs to fill.
So the company may be having to pay that out anyway.
They maybe choosing to pay zx, or someone unknown. That’s a risk, and there is additional productivity costs with a hiring a new person.

Zx doesn’t need to threaten to leave.

Zx doesn’t know how much the company values the position of burger flipping with pickle alignment.
0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 17:46 - Aug 11 with 1276 viewsTwoKnightsInIpswich

Write out your resignation letter, write out a detailed report of the salary you want. Put both in an envelope. On envelope you write, "choose one!" Give envelope to manager.

Poll: Would you want Liam Delap back at Ipswich Town for the season ahead?

0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 19:47 - Aug 11 with 1212 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

It’s a personal decision, but just remember if they come to the table with an improved offer, they could have been paying you that from the outset. But they didn’t.

Unless there was a compelling reason to stay, I’d take advantage of the market and leave for a better package.
2
Salary negotiations - advice? on 05:09 - Aug 12 with 1119 viewsPrideOfTheEast

They’re inviting you to put something to them so go higher than what you’d be comfortable with and see where you land.
0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 14:41 - Sep 24 with 842 viewsZx1988

Finally an update, a few months later.

Got a call from the CEO on Tuesday, advising that they were willing to up my pay to £124 a day. Not quite what I'd hoped for, but close enough to the £134 I'd asked for that the inconvenience and upheaval of moving elsewhere would probably not be worth it.

Last night I received the notification in writing, asking me to sign to increase my notice period from one to three months in order to confirm the pay rise.

Certainly a little bit underhand, and now it feels as if the below-market salary on offer is much less attractive now that I need to tie myself to the business for much longer.

It also feels a bit sly that they're wanting me to commit in return for the pay increase, despite other concerns with the general package still not having been resolved.

Would it be fair of me to go back along the lines of "whilst I would have been willing to accept £124 with my general conditions remaining the same, I would expect my salary to be reviewed in line with the market should you wish to tie me to the company for longer"?

I'm also aware that refusing to sign away my current beneficial notice period would probably be seen as a rather serious signal of intent - for better or worse.

Not a prophet, or a stone-age man; just a mortal with potential of a superman.
Poll: Worst Ginger?

0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 14:44 - Sep 24 with 832 viewsJ2BLUE

Salary negotiations - advice? on 14:41 - Sep 24 by Zx1988

Finally an update, a few months later.

Got a call from the CEO on Tuesday, advising that they were willing to up my pay to £124 a day. Not quite what I'd hoped for, but close enough to the £134 I'd asked for that the inconvenience and upheaval of moving elsewhere would probably not be worth it.

Last night I received the notification in writing, asking me to sign to increase my notice period from one to three months in order to confirm the pay rise.

Certainly a little bit underhand, and now it feels as if the below-market salary on offer is much less attractive now that I need to tie myself to the business for much longer.

It also feels a bit sly that they're wanting me to commit in return for the pay increase, despite other concerns with the general package still not having been resolved.

Would it be fair of me to go back along the lines of "whilst I would have been willing to accept £124 with my general conditions remaining the same, I would expect my salary to be reviewed in line with the market should you wish to tie me to the company for longer"?

I'm also aware that refusing to sign away my current beneficial notice period would probably be seen as a rather serious signal of intent - for better or worse.


Three months is completely out of order. Say you have no plans to go anywhere which is why you raised the salary issue in the first place rather than just leaving but three months is not acceptable.
0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 14:50 - Sep 24 with 813 viewsZx1988

Salary negotiations - advice? on 14:44 - Sep 24 by J2BLUE

Three months is completely out of order. Say you have no plans to go anywhere which is why you raised the salary issue in the first place rather than just leaving but three months is not acceptable.


It's the standard in my sector, but I've been on a month's notice ever since I started thanks to my entry route, and the fact that nobody clearly bothered to check my contractual terms once I qualified. Frankly I'm amazed it's taken them this long to notice.

Technically it could be up to four months, given that it has to be three whole months' notice.

It's been dressed up as reflecting my seniority and management responsibilities, but I know for a fact that the wage offered reflects none of those things, given what other junior colleagues are being paid.
[Post edited 24 Sep 15:52]

Not a prophet, or a stone-age man; just a mortal with potential of a superman.
Poll: Worst Ginger?

0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 14:57 - Sep 24 with 774 viewstractorboy1978

Salary negotiations - advice? on 14:50 - Sep 24 by Zx1988

It's the standard in my sector, but I've been on a month's notice ever since I started thanks to my entry route, and the fact that nobody clearly bothered to check my contractual terms once I qualified. Frankly I'm amazed it's taken them this long to notice.

Technically it could be up to four months, given that it has to be three whole months' notice.

It's been dressed up as reflecting my seniority and management responsibilities, but I know for a fact that the wage offered reflects none of those things, given what other junior colleagues are being paid.
[Post edited 24 Sep 15:52]


The notice may be standard but frankly, if they are being this difficult quibbling over an extra £10 a day to bring you up to what is a market rate or the minimum of what you could get elsewhere, I'd not be signing off the new offer. One month's notice makes you attractive to a future prospective employer that will pay you what you are worth.
1
Login to get fewer ads

Salary negotiations - advice? on 15:02 - Sep 24 with 764 viewsitfcjoe

Salary negotiations - advice? on 14:50 - Sep 24 by Zx1988

It's the standard in my sector, but I've been on a month's notice ever since I started thanks to my entry route, and the fact that nobody clearly bothered to check my contractual terms once I qualified. Frankly I'm amazed it's taken them this long to notice.

Technically it could be up to four months, given that it has to be three whole months' notice.

It's been dressed up as reflecting my seniority and management responsibilities, but I know for a fact that the wage offered reflects none of those things, given what other junior colleagues are being paid.
[Post edited 24 Sep 15:52]


Sounds like you know what the answer is, I'd probably say not willing to sign the contract currently as don't believe the salary offered reflects the terms being applied and want to test the job market out - that should make them sweat and cede one way or another

I negotiate my own salary now with myself (and am still bad at it!), but when in corporate world I only got one pay rise which actually shocked me with it's generosity that didn't come from me having to be on brink of leaving to show was serious about needing more
[Post edited 24 Sep 15:03]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 15:03 - Sep 24 with 757 viewssoupytwist

Salary negotiations - advice? on 14:41 - Sep 24 by Zx1988

Finally an update, a few months later.

Got a call from the CEO on Tuesday, advising that they were willing to up my pay to £124 a day. Not quite what I'd hoped for, but close enough to the £134 I'd asked for that the inconvenience and upheaval of moving elsewhere would probably not be worth it.

Last night I received the notification in writing, asking me to sign to increase my notice period from one to three months in order to confirm the pay rise.

Certainly a little bit underhand, and now it feels as if the below-market salary on offer is much less attractive now that I need to tie myself to the business for much longer.

It also feels a bit sly that they're wanting me to commit in return for the pay increase, despite other concerns with the general package still not having been resolved.

Would it be fair of me to go back along the lines of "whilst I would have been willing to accept £124 with my general conditions remaining the same, I would expect my salary to be reviewed in line with the market should you wish to tie me to the company for longer"?

I'm also aware that refusing to sign away my current beneficial notice period would probably be seen as a rather serious signal of intent - for better or worse.


I'd be tempted to say that your initial salary proposal was based on the other elements of your contractual situation remaining unchanged. They've introduced an element of change you're not happy with at £124 per day so either suggest a higher amount of just stick with what you have on the same notice period.

And start looking for another job, which might not be easy currently.
0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 15:09 - Sep 24 with 737 views_CliveBaker_

Don't overthink it.

Find 5 comparable job ads online (ideally in a similar region) and pitch it at the highest of those.
0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 15:26 - Sep 24 with 691 viewsZx1988

Salary negotiations - advice? on 15:02 - Sep 24 by itfcjoe

Sounds like you know what the answer is, I'd probably say not willing to sign the contract currently as don't believe the salary offered reflects the terms being applied and want to test the job market out - that should make them sweat and cede one way or another

I negotiate my own salary now with myself (and am still bad at it!), but when in corporate world I only got one pay rise which actually shocked me with it's generosity that didn't come from me having to be on brink of leaving to show was serious about needing more
[Post edited 24 Sep 15:03]


I think it would certainly make them sweat.

There's a bit of a retention crisis at the firm at the moment, and about 25% of the fee income in the firm has walked out the door in the last twelve months. If I left, that figure would increase to 30%.

The Business Leaders are wanting to retire imminently and, to do so, they need to sell the firm. Even at a very conservative valuation, every £1 of profit that walks out the door is £5-£10 off their pension pots.

Not a prophet, or a stone-age man; just a mortal with potential of a superman.
Poll: Worst Ginger?

0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 15:50 - Sep 24 with 645 viewsKropotkin123

Salary negotiations - advice? on 14:50 - Sep 24 by Zx1988

It's the standard in my sector, but I've been on a month's notice ever since I started thanks to my entry route, and the fact that nobody clearly bothered to check my contractual terms once I qualified. Frankly I'm amazed it's taken them this long to notice.

Technically it could be up to four months, given that it has to be three whole months' notice.

It's been dressed up as reflecting my seniority and management responsibilities, but I know for a fact that the wage offered reflects none of those things, given what other junior colleagues are being paid.
[Post edited 24 Sep 15:52]


As I understand it:
- You've been on a one month notice for one year.
- The industry standard is a three-month notice.
- They are asking you to change your notice from 1 to 3 months, as part of the wage change.

Legally (bear in mind I'm in Canada now and my understanding of UK employment law fades with time), if they asked you to change the notice length without something in return, you can refuse, and they can't force it upon you (Eg, they withhold pay when you leave "early", you can sue and win).

So, given that there is a financial change to your contract, this is the correct place for them to address this issue, as you are meeting this bar.

From an HR perspective, they likely generate standardized contracts, noticed the error, and sort to bring you to standard, rather than trying to get something over on you. It is annoying having different batches of contracts for administration purposes. That's assuming you weren't negotiating with HR

With that all said, I think it is the correct process and place to do it.

Now, how they communicate this change, whether you are happy with you initial pay change, or now giving something up for that change is reason enough to renegotiate. Importantly, you had a financial agreement based on your terms and those terms have changed.

If you do decide to renegotiate, which you should in my opinion based on the information provided, you need to be prepared to walk away - from your increase, from the company to another in order to get that value elsewhere (assuming you can).

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Will Hull win the league?
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 15:52 - Sep 24 with 641 viewsMeadowlark

Salary negotiations - advice? on 15:26 - Sep 24 by Zx1988

I think it would certainly make them sweat.

There's a bit of a retention crisis at the firm at the moment, and about 25% of the fee income in the firm has walked out the door in the last twelve months. If I left, that figure would increase to 30%.

The Business Leaders are wanting to retire imminently and, to do so, they need to sell the firm. Even at a very conservative valuation, every £1 of profit that walks out the door is £5-£10 off their pension pots.


Have they put a time limit on you signing the new deal? If they took this long to concoct what seems to me to be a less than acceptable offer one would hope not. I would seriously put out feelers or apply for jobs elsewhere (if you haven't already) so that you have alternative options when you tell them you're off.
Or just tell them you're off anyway, it you're confident you can find something more lucrative and/or employers who value you.

I think sometimes you just have to leave. I did it one time and 12 months later I was asked to return on much better terms.
0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 15:54 - Sep 24 with 631 viewsZx1988

Salary negotiations - advice? on 15:50 - Sep 24 by Kropotkin123

As I understand it:
- You've been on a one month notice for one year.
- The industry standard is a three-month notice.
- They are asking you to change your notice from 1 to 3 months, as part of the wage change.

Legally (bear in mind I'm in Canada now and my understanding of UK employment law fades with time), if they asked you to change the notice length without something in return, you can refuse, and they can't force it upon you (Eg, they withhold pay when you leave "early", you can sue and win).

So, given that there is a financial change to your contract, this is the correct place for them to address this issue, as you are meeting this bar.

From an HR perspective, they likely generate standardized contracts, noticed the error, and sort to bring you to standard, rather than trying to get something over on you. It is annoying having different batches of contracts for administration purposes. That's assuming you weren't negotiating with HR

With that all said, I think it is the correct process and place to do it.

Now, how they communicate this change, whether you are happy with you initial pay change, or now giving something up for that change is reason enough to renegotiate. Importantly, you had a financial agreement based on your terms and those terms have changed.

If you do decide to renegotiate, which you should in my opinion based on the information provided, you need to be prepared to walk away - from your increase, from the company to another in order to get that value elsewhere (assuming you can).


Sorry - my mistake in the post you've quoted.

It's been one month's notice ever since I joined the firm ten years ago. A former colleague blindsided them a couple of months back by taking advantage of a similar oversight, which is probably why they're so hot on it now all of a sudden.

I'm going through the application process at the moment with a couple of other firms who would be likely to beat my current terms, and the terms currently on offer, so I'm minded to see how that all plays out before making any firm decisions regarding my current role.

Not a prophet, or a stone-age man; just a mortal with potential of a superman.
Poll: Worst Ginger?

0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 15:56 - Sep 24 with 627 viewsZx1988

Salary negotiations - advice? on 15:52 - Sep 24 by Meadowlark

Have they put a time limit on you signing the new deal? If they took this long to concoct what seems to me to be a less than acceptable offer one would hope not. I would seriously put out feelers or apply for jobs elsewhere (if you haven't already) so that you have alternative options when you tell them you're off.
Or just tell them you're off anyway, it you're confident you can find something more lucrative and/or employers who value you.

I think sometimes you just have to leave. I did it one time and 12 months later I was asked to return on much better terms.


Five working days.

They're back-dating the salary increase to 1st September, so I'm guessing that makes most logical sense for them in terms of deciding which figure to tell the back to send me on pay-day.

Not a prophet, or a stone-age man; just a mortal with potential of a superman.
Poll: Worst Ginger?

0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 16:00 - Sep 24 with 620 viewstractorboy1978

Salary negotiations - advice? on 15:52 - Sep 24 by Meadowlark

Have they put a time limit on you signing the new deal? If they took this long to concoct what seems to me to be a less than acceptable offer one would hope not. I would seriously put out feelers or apply for jobs elsewhere (if you haven't already) so that you have alternative options when you tell them you're off.
Or just tell them you're off anyway, it you're confident you can find something more lucrative and/or employers who value you.

I think sometimes you just have to leave. I did it one time and 12 months later I was asked to return on much better terms.


Some (actually a lot) of companies are very backward in their thinking. Will happily incur training costs and recruitment fees (sometimes well in the thousands) and offer better terms to a replacement employee. But they balk at paying a current employee what they are worth. Probably because they bank on them being grateful for a job and not leaving. It's quite perverse really.
0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 16:05 - Sep 24 with 608 viewsZx1988

Salary negotiations - advice? on 16:00 - Sep 24 by tractorboy1978

Some (actually a lot) of companies are very backward in their thinking. Will happily incur training costs and recruitment fees (sometimes well in the thousands) and offer better terms to a replacement employee. But they balk at paying a current employee what they are worth. Probably because they bank on them being grateful for a job and not leaving. It's quite perverse really.


Yup, they're guilty of that too.

A colleague on a base salary of £55k got offered a job elsewhere at £70k (with other significantly better T&Cs as well), and their retention offer to him was £60k.

He's obviously left, and they've had to re-advertise his role at £65k with an agency, who'll most likely be charging 25% of the headline salary.

Over the first three years in the role, they'll pay a total of £211,250 for the new starter (not taking into account training and getting up to speed), whereas keeping the colleague at £70k would have cost £210k.

It's astonishingly short-sighted.

Not a prophet, or a stone-age man; just a mortal with potential of a superman.
Poll: Worst Ginger?

0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 16:07 - Sep 24 with 600 viewsKropotkin123

Salary negotiations - advice? on 15:54 - Sep 24 by Zx1988

Sorry - my mistake in the post you've quoted.

It's been one month's notice ever since I joined the firm ten years ago. A former colleague blindsided them a couple of months back by taking advantage of a similar oversight, which is probably why they're so hot on it now all of a sudden.

I'm going through the application process at the moment with a couple of other firms who would be likely to beat my current terms, and the terms currently on offer, so I'm minded to see how that all plays out before making any firm decisions regarding my current role.


Yeah, I think it is the play. One scenario to consider:
- You're on X
- Your company have offered X+n (Below industry standard)
- You get an offer from a new company Y (industry standard)
- You show your company the offer, so they counter offer Y.

Do you really want to accept? Do you think they will keep paying you industry standard, assuming inflation and performance increases with time?

Stats out there suggest most people who accept counteroffers leave their role within a year.

So I'd recommend seriously considering them and not taking a familiar route out, if it gets to a counter offer stage.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Will Hull win the league?
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 16:39 - Sep 24 with 559 viewsBlueandTruesince82

100% take a look at whats out there atm in the market for your role and region (no point asking for London money of your based Northumberland) get a sense so that if they do cone back with a benchmark you can compare ans make sure they are not pulling a fast 1.

I wouldn't mention that you know about your colleagues compensation yet but I wouldnt be affraid to break it out if you need to though it would only be if the conversation turns into a wrench.

I'd also say worth putting yourself out there in the market to see what else is around (though it feels horrible atm but that will be role dependant

Poll: Where will Town finish the season?

0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 16:54 - Sep 24 with 543 viewsBlueandTruesince82

100% take a look at whats out there atm in the market for your role and region (no point asking for London money of your based Northumberland) get a sense so that if they do cone back with a benchmark you can compare ans make sure they are not pulling a fast 1.

I wouldn't mention that you know about your colleagues compensation yet but I wouldnt be affraid to break it out if you need to though it would only be if the conversation turns into a wrench.

I'd also say worth putting yourself out there in the market to see what else is around (though it feels horrible atm but that will be role dependant

Poll: Where will Town finish the season?

0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 22:49 - Sep 24 with 421 viewsBurleysBoyz

Salary negotiations - advice? on 14:50 - Sep 24 by Zx1988

It's the standard in my sector, but I've been on a month's notice ever since I started thanks to my entry route, and the fact that nobody clearly bothered to check my contractual terms once I qualified. Frankly I'm amazed it's taken them this long to notice.

Technically it could be up to four months, given that it has to be three whole months' notice.

It's been dressed up as reflecting my seniority and management responsibilities, but I know for a fact that the wage offered reflects none of those things, given what other junior colleagues are being paid.
[Post edited 24 Sep 15:52]


Three months works both ways though, so it’s not necessarily a big deal. It does feel a long notice period for a job that is only just above minimum wage, however. I’m not sure what the sector is, but if it’s a management position I’d be asking for a lot more than £134 per day. You may be surprised what you’d bese to get elsewhere. It’s worth checking properly.
0
Salary negotiations - advice? on 11:38 - Sep 25 with 304 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Purely out of curiosity what sector is it? If finnancial services i might be able to offer a bit more insight

Poll: Where will Town finish the season?

0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026