Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top 6 TV progs of all time? 10:55 - Sep 24 with 6062 viewsRyorry

Flawty Towers
Boys From the Black Stuff
7-Up
Spitting Image
I Claudius
M.A.S.H.

for me.


Poll: Do you find minor cuts & grazes heal better

1
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 09:57 - Sep 25 with 940 viewsvilanovablue

Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 21:25 - Sep 24 by Keno

Ken burns is a good shout!

See also his country music and jazz series


And a nod to his Vietnam doc as well which is also superb.
0
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 10:06 - Sep 25 with 919 viewsnorfsufblue

A possible glaring omission and a staple for so many years..

Top of the Pops has to be an iconic long running show thatthe countrys teenagers looked forward to on a weekly basis.
0
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 10:07 - Sep 25 with 919 viewsBlueBoots

Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 20:36 - Sep 24 by Portmanteauxcurling

Easy come, easy go

.....but they would be amongst the twenty or so in my top six along with

Vic Reeves Big Night Out
The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer
Shooting Stars
House of Fools


Already done my Top 6, but if I was going to include some Vic and Bob it would be Catterick for me

Regarding honourable mentions, I'm surprised we've got to 5 pages with no votes for either The Singing Detective or Abigail's Party; some classic telly right there.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

2
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 10:19 - Sep 25 with 905 viewsRyorry

Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 10:07 - Sep 25 by BlueBoots

Already done my Top 6, but if I was going to include some Vic and Bob it would be Catterick for me

Regarding honourable mentions, I'm surprised we've got to 5 pages with no votes for either The Singing Detective or Abigail's Party; some classic telly right there.


I did give a late mention to The Singing Detective on the previous page, along with Pennies from Heaven (which I preferred of the two); Blue-Remembered Hills was another excellent one by Dennis Potter, but agree with you re those and Abigail’s Party. Nuts in May should probably also be on an ‘honourable mentions’ list.

Edit - correction, hadn’t included Singing Detective on previous page, but should have done.
[Post edited 25 Sep 10:34]

Poll: Do you find minor cuts & grazes heal better

1
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 10:29 - Sep 25 with 883 viewsBlue_Balls

Ever Decreasing Circles and The Good Life should get a mention...
1
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 10:48 - Sep 25 with 860 viewsWeWereZombies

Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 11:48 - Sep 24 by oldburian

Cathy come home.


There's a good antidote to recency bias, see also 'Edna, The Inebriate Woman'. Back in the days of only two channels to choose from there was a remarkable care and attention paid to a lot of productions because almost everybody watched them, and then discussed the topics raised at work or school the next day.

Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

2
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 10:59 - Sep 25 with 852 viewssohamblue74

Line of Duty
Strike
Unforgotten
Peep Show
Inbetweeners
The Traitors (UK)
0
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 11:03 - Sep 25 with 851 viewssohamblue74

Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 11:41 - Sep 24 by Axeldalai_lama

It's all deeply personal of course but I'd have to have the detectorists in there, beautiful calm perfect hug of a series. Not packed with drama, twists and massive sweeping plots, just cosy telly at its absolute best.


Great shout.
Love the detectorists.
Very easy watching, believable characters, gentle humour.
1
Login to get fewer ads

Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 11:10 - Sep 25 with 844 viewsbaxterbasics

Much like with similar lists of our favourite music, it's quite easy to use some of these picks to figure out the posters approximate age. Mine gives me away as a teenager in the mid 90's.

zip
Poll: Who will win the World Cup golden boot?

1
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 11:36 - Sep 25 with 816 viewsBenters

Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 10:29 - Sep 25 by Blue_Balls

Ever Decreasing Circles and The Good Life should get a mention...


Both excellent I will give you that.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Which is best Cycling or Running,i will go for cycling as you are sitting down

0
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 17:08 - Sep 25 with 737 viewsmellowblue

Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 11:21 - Sep 24 by bsw72

M.A.S.H. is gold, always has been. Last episode is brilliant closing and the one when Lt Col Henry gets his honorable discharge and heads home is one of the saddest .
[Post edited 24 Sep 11:21]


M.A.S.H was great in its time. Watching it now, it seems a bit corny and over-sentimental, Hawkeye too smarmy and sanctimonious, Winchester, Hawkeye's buddy and the Colonel(s) I still like and of course Hot Lips Houlihan is as fantastic as I remember her as a kid. Either it hasn't aged well, or I have aged in a grumpy way. Disappointing as I used to love it and now don't really get why I don't like it.
My choice:
Dads Army
Colditz
Brideshead Revisited
Frasier
Sopranos
BoardwalkEmpire
0
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 19:26 - Sep 25 with 695 viewsOldFart71

Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 11:48 - Sep 24 by homer_123

And this is why you can't choose 6. Chernobyl is brilliant.


That's why you shouldn't wear Russian boxer shorts, Chernobyl fallout.
Agree a brilliant program.
0
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 21:05 - Sep 25 with 665 viewsRyorry

Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 17:08 - Sep 25 by mellowblue

M.A.S.H was great in its time. Watching it now, it seems a bit corny and over-sentimental, Hawkeye too smarmy and sanctimonious, Winchester, Hawkeye's buddy and the Colonel(s) I still like and of course Hot Lips Houlihan is as fantastic as I remember her as a kid. Either it hasn't aged well, or I have aged in a grumpy way. Disappointing as I used to love it and now don't really get why I don't like it.
My choice:
Dads Army
Colditz
Brideshead Revisited
Frasier
Sopranos
BoardwalkEmpire


Yep, you got grumpy :))

Good shout for Brideshead though.

Poll: Do you find minor cuts & grazes heal better

1
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 22:47 - Sep 25 with 634 viewsTheBlueGnu

Babestation
Coronation Street
Blackadder
Fawlty Towers
Football Focus
Match of the Day

Poll: Who would potentially have been a great Ipswich manager ?

1
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 22:52 - Sep 25 with 627 viewsGodzilla

In no particular order

Father Ted
Gomorrah
Sopranos
Breaking Bad
I'm Alan Parrtridge
Mad Men
0
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 00:19 - Sep 26 with 588 viewsRyorry

Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 10:48 - Sep 25 by WeWereZombies

There's a good antidote to recency bias, see also 'Edna, The Inebriate Woman'. Back in the days of only two channels to choose from there was a remarkable care and attention paid to a lot of productions because almost everybody watched them, and then discussed the topics raised at work or school the next day.


Swingometer back to recency - as in right now watching This Country - absolute genius, & groundbreaking in genre of p.take-umentary. How do they keep it deadpan? Think in 20 years time it might well be regarded as a classic.

Also no idea how I forgot Happy Valley. Just brilliant in every way. If I re-wrote my top 6 it might squeak in.

Poll: Do you find minor cuts & grazes heal better

1
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 15:20 - Sep 26 with 496 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Can't believe no one's mentioned The Fall yet- absolutely gripping.
Monty Python
Porridge
Chernobyl*
The Bridge (Swedish version)
The Office

*On Monday. I'm meeting up with a retired work colleague, Matilda, who was is a Radiation Protection Advisor, and was working at a University in the Czech Republic measuring environmental radiation in 1986. She was one of the ones who identified elevated radiation in the hours after the accident - there were several physicists across Europe who for the purposes of the screen adaptation were merged into a single actor.

Poll: would you rather

0
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 06:43 - Sep 27 with 393 viewsstiff_talking

1. Dekalog
2. Mad Men
3. Twin Peaks
4. League of Gentlemen
5. Breaking Bad.
0
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 09:37 - Sep 27 with 353 viewsChurchman

Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 17:08 - Sep 25 by mellowblue

M.A.S.H was great in its time. Watching it now, it seems a bit corny and over-sentimental, Hawkeye too smarmy and sanctimonious, Winchester, Hawkeye's buddy and the Colonel(s) I still like and of course Hot Lips Houlihan is as fantastic as I remember her as a kid. Either it hasn't aged well, or I have aged in a grumpy way. Disappointing as I used to love it and now don't really get why I don't like it.
My choice:
Dads Army
Colditz
Brideshead Revisited
Frasier
Sopranos
BoardwalkEmpire


Ahh Colditz. Loved that at the time.

Got to visit Colditz Castle in the spring this year and I spent half the time humming the theme tune! Much enjoyed trip!

Another shout out for me is Poldark - both the original 70s version and the more modern one. The Winston Graham books are excellent too.
0
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 09:53 - Sep 28 with 238 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Got to fit in Horizon somewhere.

Poll: would you rather

0
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 10:02 - Sep 28 with 228 viewsNthQldITFC

May I add The Day of the Triffids (John Duttine TV version)

Good work by Philogene...... GREAT WORK BY PHILOGENE!!!
Poll: How would you feel about a UK Identity Card?

0
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 15:14 - Sep 28 with 166 viewsusm

Lost
Dallas
Monty Python
Cheers
Friends
Neighbours

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

0
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 15:28 - Sep 28 with 158 viewsWD19

The Day Today
Only Connect
Allo Allo
The Krypton Factor
Ski Sunday
Life on Mars
0
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 16:19 - Sep 28 with 124 viewsmellowblue

Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 09:37 - Sep 27 by Churchman

Ahh Colditz. Loved that at the time.

Got to visit Colditz Castle in the spring this year and I spent half the time humming the theme tune! Much enjoyed trip!

Another shout out for me is Poldark - both the original 70s version and the more modern one. The Winston Graham books are excellent too.


Envious that you have been to Colditz.
0
Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 17:34 - Sep 28 with 93 viewsDouble_Dutch

Top 6 TV progs of all time? on 09:37 - Sep 27 by Churchman

Ahh Colditz. Loved that at the time.

Got to visit Colditz Castle in the spring this year and I spent half the time humming the theme tune! Much enjoyed trip!

Another shout out for me is Poldark - both the original 70s version and the more modern one. The Winston Graham books are excellent too.


With the inclusion of Colditz and Dad's Army, surprised neither of you have mentioned Secret Army from that era.
0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026