Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No more Suffolk pubs 13:06 - Sep 29 with 3330 viewsBelsteadCav

Apparently Suffolk countryside pubs are a far right myth

That’s it then, No more going to a country pub on a Sunday, get a Roast, sit in peace and quiet.


King of the board since 98
Poll: Which way do you swing?

-1
No more Suffolk pubs on 13:12 - Sep 29 with 2145 viewslowhouseblue

isn't she saying that a britain that could be exclusively characterised by such things never existed, rather than that the pubs never existed. thankfully suffolk pubs can both exist and be atypical of britain as a whole. sorry to pedantic.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

8
No more Suffolk pubs on 13:15 - Sep 29 with 2132 viewsParky

The world has truly gone mad.
3
No more Suffolk pubs on 13:18 - Sep 29 with 2099 viewsFtnfwest

black labs matter
14
No more Suffolk pubs on 13:19 - Sep 29 with 2076 viewsBelsteadCav

No more Suffolk pubs on 13:18 - Sep 29 by Ftnfwest

black labs matter


👏🏻

King of the board since 98
Poll: Which way do you swing?

1
No more Suffolk pubs on 13:19 - Sep 29 with 2076 viewsLamp

No mention of the Suffolk Panther either. What else are they hiding?
4
No more Suffolk pubs on 13:21 - Sep 29 with 2040 viewsBelsteadCav

No more Suffolk pubs on 13:19 - Sep 29 by Lamp

No mention of the Suffolk Panther either. What else are they hiding?


She probably thinks that’s a myth as well

King of the board since 98
Poll: Which way do you swing?

1
No more Suffolk pubs on 13:25 - Sep 29 with 2018 viewsBelsteadCav

No more Suffolk pubs on 13:12 - Sep 29 by lowhouseblue

isn't she saying that a britain that could be exclusively characterised by such things never existed, rather than that the pubs never existed. thankfully suffolk pubs can both exist and be atypical of britain as a whole. sorry to pedantic.


Thing is, People who have lived in East Anglia know it’s not a myth.

Apart from the fox hunting bit, which I’m dead against.

King of the board since 98
Poll: Which way do you swing?

0
There’s actually pictures of her in a pub with a dog on 13:32 - Sep 29 with 1987 viewsBelsteadCav

😂🤣🤣🤣

Scary thing is these people run the country


King of the board since 98
Poll: Which way do you swing?

-1
Login to get fewer ads

No more Suffolk pubs on 13:33 - Sep 29 with 1959 viewslowhouseblue

No more Suffolk pubs on 13:25 - Sep 29 by BelsteadCav

Thing is, People who have lived in East Anglia know it’s not a myth.

Apart from the fox hunting bit, which I’m dead against.


yeah, but in terms of also characterising central manchester it probably would have been a myth. i'm not a fan of fox hunting, but a pub with the horses and hounds mingling outside is a thing of beauty. the boxing day meet at the cretingham bell for example.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

-1
No more Suffolk pubs on 13:35 - Sep 29 with 1948 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Rage bait story on some ragebait comments. Probably your typical metropolitan politician that’s never left the city, and sneers at the simple rural folk.

Notice the tucked away comment that Burnham pulled them up on it, so really a non story.
2
No more Suffolk pubs on 13:38 - Sep 29 with 1922 viewsDubtractor

No more Suffolk pubs on 13:35 - Sep 29 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Rage bait story on some ragebait comments. Probably your typical metropolitan politician that’s never left the city, and sneers at the simple rural folk.

Notice the tucked away comment that Burnham pulled them up on it, so really a non story.


She's the mp for Suffolk Coastal!

Fwiw, its a horribly clumsy attempt to push back on the narrative of false nostalgia that is prevalent in some quarters.

When I say horribly clumsy I'm being kind

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Are we gonna win tomorrow then?

9
No more Suffolk pubs on 13:44 - Sep 29 with 1866 viewslowhouseblue

No more Suffolk pubs on 13:38 - Sep 29 by Dubtractor

She's the mp for Suffolk Coastal!

Fwiw, its a horribly clumsy attempt to push back on the narrative of false nostalgia that is prevalent in some quarters.

When I say horribly clumsy I'm being kind


also it's the cliched imagine of britain particularly associated with john major so hardly far right.

"Fifty years on from now, Britain will still be the country of long shadows on county cricket grounds, warm beer, invincible green suburbs, dog lovers, and—as George Orwell said—old maids bicycling to Holy Communion through the morning mist."

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

2
No more Suffolk pubs on 13:54 - Sep 29 with 1793 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

No more Suffolk pubs on 13:38 - Sep 29 by Dubtractor

She's the mp for Suffolk Coastal!

Fwiw, its a horribly clumsy attempt to push back on the narrative of false nostalgia that is prevalent in some quarters.

When I say horribly clumsy I'm being kind


That’s even worse then!

I don’t get it though, what’s wrong with nostalgia, I thought the 90’s was brilliant? It seems pretty desperate culture war stuff tbh.
1
No more Suffolk pubs on 14:00 - Sep 29 with 1755 viewsDubtractor

No more Suffolk pubs on 13:54 - Sep 29 by SuperKieranMcKenna

That’s even worse then!

I don’t get it though, what’s wrong with nostalgia, I thought the 90’s was brilliant? It seems pretty desperate culture war stuff tbh.


Nothing wrong with nostalgia at all, but there is a false nostalgia for a country that we used to be, that isn't based in reality.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Are we gonna win tomorrow then?

1
No more Suffolk pubs on 17:21 - Sep 29 with 1434 viewsIllinoisblue

No more Suffolk pubs on 14:00 - Sep 29 by Dubtractor

Nothing wrong with nostalgia at all, but there is a false nostalgia for a country that we used to be, that isn't based in reality.


The UK has undeniably changed, though, surely? I pop back every couple of years and Ipswich is vastly different to how it was in the 80s or 90s.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

1
No more Suffolk pubs on 17:37 - Sep 29 with 1372 viewsMeadowlark

No more Suffolk pubs on 13:18 - Sep 29 by Ftnfwest

black labs matter


Usually in a little blue plastic bag hanging in a tree.....
3
No more Suffolk pubs on 17:55 - Sep 29 with 1339 viewstonybied

No more Suffolk pubs on 17:21 - Sep 29 by Illinoisblue

The UK has undeniably changed, though, surely? I pop back every couple of years and Ipswich is vastly different to how it was in the 80s or 90s.


Indeed, as has the rest of the world. Things change and move on,that's how it was and how it'll ever be! Sometimes it's for good, sometimes not. It's inevitable, and should be embraced, or at least accepted, rather than harping for a world/time that no longer exists.
2
No more Suffolk pubs on 18:15 - Sep 29 with 1292 viewsmellowblue

No more Suffolk pubs on 14:00 - Sep 29 by Dubtractor

Nothing wrong with nostalgia at all, but there is a false nostalgia for a country that we used to be, that isn't based in reality.


Read Akenfield, which was a real life examination of a Suffolk village and country/agricultural life. Reading it now is pure nostalgia. It was a disappearing and changing world maybe poorer as rural life has always been but better in so many ways than today. Memories can be rose-tinted which gives the accusation of false nostalgia, but looking back, communities urban and rural seemed happier with their lot 50 years ago, despite all the advantages we have now..
0
No more Suffolk pubs on 19:02 - Sep 29 with 1203 viewsPlums

No more Suffolk pubs on 18:15 - Sep 29 by mellowblue

Read Akenfield, which was a real life examination of a Suffolk village and country/agricultural life. Reading it now is pure nostalgia. It was a disappearing and changing world maybe poorer as rural life has always been but better in so many ways than today. Memories can be rose-tinted which gives the accusation of false nostalgia, but looking back, communities urban and rural seemed happier with their lot 50 years ago, despite all the advantages we have now..


Average life expectancy in England is a decade longer than it was 50 years ago. That brings societal issues but suggests things aren't all worse than they were.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

2
No more Suffolk pubs on 19:06 - Sep 29 with 1197 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

No more Suffolk pubs on 14:00 - Sep 29 by Dubtractor

Nothing wrong with nostalgia at all, but there is a false nostalgia for a country that we used to be, that isn't based in reality.


Exactly. It's the harking back to a "golden age" that never really was that grates ("golden" in what way and for whom?).

Poll: As we are indulging in pointless quesions. If my aunt had balls would she be ...

1
No more Suffolk pubs on 19:25 - Sep 29 with 1139 viewsDubtractor

No more Suffolk pubs on 19:06 - Sep 29 by You_Bloo_Right

Exactly. It's the harking back to a "golden age" that never really was that grates ("golden" in what way and for whom?).


People were younger than they are now, and life was easier and more fun because of that. Almost everyone remembers their late teens and twenties as a great time, because they were, but it doesn't mean the world in general was better. The 70s in the UK, for example, looked fooking bleak.

Not saying that all change is for the better, obviously thats not the case, but equally I don't subscribe to the view that it was all better in the past either.

This isn't me sneering at older people btw, I'm 50 (ffs), and often get nostalgic about the time I had in the 90s and 00s.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Are we gonna win tomorrow then?

4
No more Suffolk pubs on 19:33 - Sep 29 with 1113 viewsSwansea_Blue

I think she was very clumsily trying to point out that the far right do have a warped sense of nostalgia. Which seems to be the case (unless they’re asked to face up to the nostalgia of our role in the slave trade). It’s clumsy at best, but not as bad as the Daily Mail are making out when you see the whole quote in that part of the speech that explains where she was coming from. They’re deliberately ignoring the message.

Of course it’s going to be picked up by the Daily Mail though, because they see it as an attack on their nostalgia. I’m not sure whether that means she’s proved her point or she was naive in giving them a chance to kick off. It probably doesn’t matter as Labour could cure cancer and the Mail and their readers would find fault in it anyway.

File under nonsense.

Poll: Escaped Goat of the day. Who’s it going to be?

2
No more Suffolk pubs on 19:42 - Sep 29 with 1074 viewsSwansea_Blue

No more Suffolk pubs on 19:25 - Sep 29 by Dubtractor

People were younger than they are now, and life was easier and more fun because of that. Almost everyone remembers their late teens and twenties as a great time, because they were, but it doesn't mean the world in general was better. The 70s in the UK, for example, looked fooking bleak.

Not saying that all change is for the better, obviously thats not the case, but equally I don't subscribe to the view that it was all better in the past either.

This isn't me sneering at older people btw, I'm 50 (ffs), and often get nostalgic about the time I had in the 90s and 00s.


There’s a lot of that involved I suspect. It was cracking ‘back then’ but largely because we had fewer commitments, more new experiences to intrigue and excite, a younger more resilient body that could party all night and still handle work the next morning, more single and like minded friends to do stupid things with, etc. The 90s were great. The 80s were great too. Not for any material reasons though. And they certainly weren’t great times because there were fewer foreigners around. Quite the opposite. Ipswich was swarming with US airbase personnel and their families in the 80s.

Poll: Escaped Goat of the day. Who’s it going to be?

0
No more Suffolk pubs on 19:52 - Sep 29 with 1038 viewslowhouseblue

No more Suffolk pubs on 19:25 - Sep 29 by Dubtractor

People were younger than they are now, and life was easier and more fun because of that. Almost everyone remembers their late teens and twenties as a great time, because they were, but it doesn't mean the world in general was better. The 70s in the UK, for example, looked fooking bleak.

Not saying that all change is for the better, obviously thats not the case, but equally I don't subscribe to the view that it was all better in the past either.

This isn't me sneering at older people btw, I'm 50 (ffs), and often get nostalgic about the time I had in the 90s and 00s.


generally, hopefully, people have fun when they're young. but objectively the 70s and 80s were bloody bleak. on average people were massively poorer than now, work was often brutal, politics was just as divided as now, food was narrower than now, and consumer goods were crap. just one example, less than half of homes had central heating in the mid 70s. not nice. plus social and public infrastructure was falling apart. of course lots of people found ways to have fun, but objectively it was grim compared to a lot of aspects of today.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

2
No more Suffolk pubs on 20:03 - Sep 29 with 1016 viewsvapour_trail

No more Suffolk pubs on 19:52 - Sep 29 by lowhouseblue

generally, hopefully, people have fun when they're young. but objectively the 70s and 80s were bloody bleak. on average people were massively poorer than now, work was often brutal, politics was just as divided as now, food was narrower than now, and consumer goods were crap. just one example, less than half of homes had central heating in the mid 70s. not nice. plus social and public infrastructure was falling apart. of course lots of people found ways to have fun, but objectively it was grim compared to a lot of aspects of today.


It’s impossible to take an ‘objective’ comparison to today until you have the benefit of hindsight.

Nobody can judge the impact on the recent and current young of near universal central heating, recently improved social infrastructure, growing up with unregulated social media and the anxiety that AI may render you a redundant member of society.

You will need to come back in fifty years to offer a more balanced viewpoint.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026