Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our terrible defence? 11:37 - Sep 13 with 819 viewsTwoKnightsInIpswich

While many supporters are showing concerns about our defence and giving teams opportunities I found it interesting reading the following "the third time in the four games they have played that they have conceded less than 0.70 xG."

So the stats are showing our defence isn't giving as many opportunities as us fans are thinking..

Poll: Would you want Liam Delap back at Ipswich Town for the season ahead?

2
Our terrible defence? on 11:55 - Sep 13 with 728 viewsDubtractor

I made this point yesterday - whilst our defence clearly can be better, and we are a bit open at times, we're not actually giving up many clear opportunities.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Are we gonna win tomorrow then?

0
Our terrible defence? on 12:17 - Sep 13 with 634 viewsRetroBlue

Ill probably get shot down in flames, but we have a suspect defence IMHO. We have conceeded 10 goals in 4 games, and are the only team in the top half on the PL division (nice to say were in that half btw), that has a negative GD. In fact you have to go all the way down to 16th ( Palace) to find a team conceeding more goals than us. I think our 5 goals " for" (away from home) masks our underlying problem with pour defending.

ITFC - The Pride of Anglia
Poll: Who do you want to win?

0
Our terrible defence? on 12:40 - Sep 13 with 545 viewsKievthegreat

We did still concede an average 1.67 actual goals in each of those 3 games.
0
Our terrible defence? on 12:41 - Sep 13 with 543 viewsSouperJim

Yesterday I posted my concerns about the number of goals we've conceded, but on reflection I think it's gaps we're leaving in the middle of the pitch and our overall game management which is more to blame than the defence.

I do worry that, despite clearly working very hard for us, Greaves is struggling with how exposed we are at times, plus we're shoehorning O'Shea in at right back a little. But we need to defend better as a team and stop being so open. Every game so far we've had at least a 20 minute spell where there have been gaps all over the place and we've looked overrun. I'm sure we'll improve given time, but at the moment it's quite uncomfortable to watch.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

1
Our terrible defence? on 13:05 - Sep 13 with 464 viewsTwoKnightsInIpswich

Our terrible defence? on 12:41 - Sep 13 by SouperJim

Yesterday I posted my concerns about the number of goals we've conceded, but on reflection I think it's gaps we're leaving in the middle of the pitch and our overall game management which is more to blame than the defence.

I do worry that, despite clearly working very hard for us, Greaves is struggling with how exposed we are at times, plus we're shoehorning O'Shea in at right back a little. But we need to defend better as a team and stop being so open. Every game so far we've had at least a 20 minute spell where there have been gaps all over the place and we've looked overrun. I'm sure we'll improve given time, but at the moment it's quite uncomfortable to watch.


I do think Lukic and Palacios were both getting caught forward too often, and previous games our two midfielders were both going forward at the same time which left our defence exposed to a counter attack.
Yesterday in second half I noticed Palacios and Lukic talking more and jestering for the other to stay back as they pushed forward.
Our midfield has had a complete overhaul and it will take time for them to understand each other but the signs are promising.

Poll: Would you want Liam Delap back at Ipswich Town for the season ahead?

0
I think people are missing or are not reviewing games properly on 13:12 - Sep 13 with 438 viewsunstableblue

I’d say that across that first half against Palace, apart from one Scherpen howler (he did multiple things well across the half). And one error from Diop. The defence was sound.

Town were just making silly errors in attack and midfield, not controlling and being efficient in our possession. There were loads of them. This tended to mean Palacios and Lukic were out of position and the defence was exposed.

It’s wasn’t our defenders being poor.

If we had eradicated those errors and been a bit more controlled in position and transition we would have donated the half. A half which we just edged anyway.

Poll: Building on NthQldITFC thread - If you had to choose, would you rather?

0
Our terrible defence? on 13:15 - Sep 13 with 432 viewsBellevue_Blue

Our terrible defence? on 12:17 - Sep 13 by RetroBlue

Ill probably get shot down in flames, but we have a suspect defence IMHO. We have conceeded 10 goals in 4 games, and are the only team in the top half on the PL division (nice to say were in that half btw), that has a negative GD. In fact you have to go all the way down to 16th ( Palace) to find a team conceeding more goals than us. I think our 5 goals " for" (away from home) masks our underlying problem with pour defending.


The whole point of the post is that maybe we should be focusing less on the outcome, which is the goals against and more on the underlying statistics that show at the minute, we are conceding lots of 'good' goals as opposed to being all at sea defensively.

We have conceded a very similar 'xG against' to that of Hull and Spurs but 8 and 5 more goals respectively.

Everything being equal, that should hopefully turn the other way at some point. Scherpen will have a great game and opposition players will be wasteful.

It wont mean the defence is fixed, just that the xG has evened itself out.
0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026